Sukhoi -7s in action - 1971 War
Sukhoi -7s in a "Search & Strike" mission in Chhamb sector in 1971 War
This painting is about Sukhoi 7s carrying our "Search & Strike" missions in Chhamb sector in 1971 Indo-Pak War. The basic details based on which the painting was composed are as follows:-
- Pak army advanced in Chhamb sector with massive build up of armour on 03 -05 December 1971 after heavy and intense artillery fire.
- Indian Army formations in the area were put on defensive and faced the brunt of the Pakistan Army onslaught.
- Su-7s based at Adampur and Hunters based in Pathankot provided air support with AD cover from MiG-21s. It was difficult to provide close air support due to close intermingling of troops.So targets were picked up behind the enemy to slow down their build up and affect their supplies.
- Once the troops were separated by river Munawar Tawi, IAF aircraft started picking up targets on Search & Strike missions at will.
- Picking up targets on ground was difficult as they were well camouflaged blending with hay stacks and mango groves.
- Su-7s based in Amritsar attacked Pak Army targets in the Shakargarh bulge.
- The Su-7s based in Adampur flew with configuration of 2 x belly tanks+ 2X UB 16 R/P pods + 2x Wing tanks + FGs.
- Ground fire including ack ack was intense and quite a few Su-7s were lost to ground fire carrying out repeated attacks with rockets, bombs and finally guns.
- IAF action could blunt the Pak Army advance in the Chhamb sector decisively.
There are yet no reviews for this product.